Saturday, February 27, 2010

Here, again.

I am getting sick of blogging from the hospital. It's getting old. I hate watching my baby in pain and struggling to breathe. Blech.

It's respiratory again. It started Friday morning.He was coughing so hard, he started vomiting, and once he starts vomiting, he can't stop. Also, in 1 and 1/2 hours he went from not needing any oxygen, to not being able to keep his oxygen levels up on 4 liters. His heart rate had also gone from 145 to 215 over that course of an hour and a half. Then he had a huge seizure. It was one unlike he'd ever had. I wouldn't have even known he was seizing except I noticed he was hardly breathing. I pinched him (hard!!!, sorry Matthew) and he didn't respond. He was breathing 4-6 times a minute. I ran and got his diastat and administered it. But I couldn't keep his oxygen up, even after he started being responsive, and then he started vomiting again. As much as I wanted to drive him myself, I didn't feel like I could risk him aspirating in the back seat. So, I broke down and called 911. We live 3 blocks from the station, and they were here lickety split. They got about a 30 second history and they literally scooped him up and took off.

Once in the ER, they drew labs, and called anesthesia to start his IV. He got it the first try (thank you, Jesus). With both tylenol and ibuprofin, his temp was still 103.8.

We were admitted to the ped's unit after blood work showed it was a bacterial pneumonia. IV fluids, IV antibiotics and medicine to keep him from throwing up were started.

He had a restful night, and day today; but a pretty rough afternoon. He is not vomiting anymore, but spiked a temp this morning. He has had two rounds of IV antibiotics.

To top it off, Steve is home with the kids, but also started with respiratory stuff last night. He's been pretty sick all day. Good thing the kids can pour cereal, and reheat pizza. And especially good that they're great kids and let their daddy get some rest.

I will hope to go home tomorrow now that we have antibiotics on board, and are tolerating feedings. I can't stand sitting here. They're great here, but seriously; we've done our share of hospital sitting this winter.

I cannot wait for better weather. I'm opening my windows and airing out the house with the hope of killing all these nasty bugs. This has been one of the longest winters! Poor Matthew has caught every bug within a 10 mile radius.

10 comments:

Michelle said...

*HUGS* It has indeed been a rough winter. Spring is coming soon --- less than a month away and I'll be praying that it comes to Nebraska a bit early this year to give Matthew's lungs a break. You will all be in our prayers as always.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read Matthew is sick. Prayers, Barbara

Lisa Christine said...

:( So, so sorry that you are going through this again. Sending sweet thoughts your way...

Candace said...

Oh gosh, will be praying for him to recover quickly. It seems like everyone is catching all kinds of bad things, lately. poor baby...

Diane said...

Oh poor Matthew. I am praying that he will get to go home soon. Spring is on the way, so just hang in there.

Diane, Tyler's mom

Diane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherri said...

Your sweet little guy just can't get a break. We are praying for Matthew and of course the entire family. We are longing for picnics with a healthy little boy!

Kristen said...

*hugs* Too many hospital sittings indeed. Remember when Matthew was in MN back in November and the one nurse said Matthew reminded her a lot of another patient they use to have? They said that patient was sick and in the hospital a lot and then she (i think it was a girl) outgrew it and she just took off and started doing so much better. That story gave you such hope and encouragement. I just wanted to remind you to hold onto those thoughts and we'll be all holding you up in prayer!

Michelle said...

Too bad the gift shop doesn't have a groundhog I could send up - you could put it in the window and tell it to go about bringing on the spring!

Keeslermom said...

Ahhh! Round 33! That boy is tough!

Prayin' like crazy!