- We did a urine specimen; and it was fine, not sure where the blood was coming from??
- Matthew is now 100% independant in the emptying his bladder department (at least since 10/30/10 @ 2pm). Just as quickly as the switch got turned off almost 2 weeks ago; it mysteriously got turned back on yesterday. So I guess I was wrong about the re-tethered cord thing. A hit to my pride; but I'll take it anyday over surgery for Matthew. Dr. P was right (again) and it sounds like it doesn't mean that this can't happen again. I guess the nerves can take up to 1 year to figure out what they need to do.
- We tried Matthew back on his feedings yesterday; and with in 1/2 hour he was wretching again. So it was back to IV fluids. And the retching quit. Until his 8 oclock meds. We put his meds in the j-tube also; and within 2 minutes of administering his meds, he started vomiting. He slept perfectly all night, with NO mucous problems and woke up this morning with CLEAR lung sounds. We gave 1/2 of his 8 am meds and he started violently retching. We let him rest about 1/2 hour and then I decided to be creative and give his medications in his g-tube (vs the j tube) to see if that made a difference. He absolutely did perfect with it.
- So we talked with the GI doc and the hospitalist this morning. We agreed to put all meds in the g-tube, and to try the j-tube for feeds 1 more time. If it doesn't work, we feel it is reasonable that all the excess mucous/retching is for some unknown, medically unexplainable reason linked to to the j-tube. Prior to the j-tube insertion, Matthew had issues with reflux/vomiting but not retching (they are two separate, very distinct issues). We will take out the g/j tube (at the bedside) and place a g-tube. If vomiting is still an issue (which it realistically may be) and as long as it is not accompanied by retching, Matthew will need a fundoplication surgery, in which to wrap the stomach around the top of the esophagus; which makes reflux not be an issue. The fundoplication is something we've tried pretty hard to stay away from, but we are reevaluating his need for this surgery. We are a couple steps away from that, and I am trying to take one step at a time!!
As I was finishing typing this..Matthew threw up a ton of mucous. After 13 cc's of formula. 13 cc's. and now his tube feedings are off. The nurse is off to talk to the Dr. She will pull the g/j and put in a g tube.. we'll see how this goes.