Sunday, February 27, 2011

Yet again, in the hospital

Yep. Here we sit. In the hospital. AGAIN. Matthew has been struggling with GI issues for the greater part of three weeks. We'd been doing pretty ok at home, and then he got a cold. And a double ear infection. This whole week we struggled to keep enough fluids in his tummy to keep him somewhat hydrated. By Friday it was evident that I was losing the battle. Everything I had put in the last 24 hours came right back out. I hadn't slept more than 2 winks Thursday. We ended up in the ER Friday afternoon. They admitted us. They tried to access his port ( which is a very nice permanent IV access place for him. One poke and you have instantaneous IV access with very little pain.) It wouldn't work. All the fluid they tried to put in went straight in under his skin; which is very painful. They were able to get a peripheral IV in. He actually slept pretty sound Friday night.

I was scheduled to work this weekend; and if I miss my weekends; I get the pleasure of making them up on a weekend i have off; so I try very hard to not miss my weekends. Since Matthew is in the same hospital that I work for, I decided to not call in sick. Weekends are usually slower and I asked to be the 1st to stay home if we weren't busy. I was able yesterday to stay with Matthew until 11 when I was called in and then Steve was able to come up for a few hours with him. The only problem was that we have 2 OTHER sick kids at home. Both Steve and I felt we needed to be in two places at once.

It was decided yesterday what was wrong with his port (via xray) and also decided that we would transfer to Omaha Monday to have it replaced; which means surgery again for Matthew.

The vomiting has not stopped either. Even his medications are not staying down now. We've had two GI docs tell us they are unable to help us. WE don't have the option to give up, though. We have 2 things we want for Matthew; happiness and comfort. We need to get him comfort for the non-stop vomiting, in whatever form we can. So we will be looking into options while we are in the hospital in Omaha.

And for those of you wondering about the surgery he had 6 weeks ago for the vomiting; sadly it isn't working at all anymore. It only worked for about 3 weeks. That is very sad. What looked so promising; didn't last very long.

I am on-call right now for work. I have been scheduled for a 12 hour shift today. So far, they are able to let me stay upstairs with Matthew. I'm thankful; as last night was not restful at all. Matthew without seizure meds, is a non-sleeping Matthew. Non of his seizure medications can be given IV, and thankfully, so far, his seizures aren't crazy right now. We will have to see what comes of this week.


Shannon said...

I am so, so sorry. I simply cannot imagine how you are feeling watching poor Matthew struggle. Please take care and know that we are praying for you all.

Carla said...

Praying for you Jill, Praying for Matthew's comfort & happiness. Your in my thoughts.

Josephine said...

I am so sad to read about this! Matthew has been through so much, especially recently!! You must all be so beyond exhausted. I will be praying for you again.

Quinn's Diary said...

I am so sorry! I've been working on very little sleep, and been sick because of it, so try your best to take care of you too! I'm praying for your whole family! You are amazing to be so strong with so many frustrations!

Praying hard! Let me know if I can do anything! Can I take your other kids out to dinner or anything?

Angie said...

Praying for all of you Jill, I hope you guys can find something that will work to make Matthew much more comfortable.

Darlene said...

I'm so close. Can i come to your house and stay for a couple days to do some mommy stuff?