Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 5 in the PICU

This morning Matthew was somewhat awake around 9 am and I was so excited; it was time to get the tube out. When I told the respiratory therapist; she said that we had to wait until rounds were over. We that is usually around 1 pm. I sorta lost it when she said that. I basically said that I was sick of waiting when for when it was convenient for the doctors instead of convenient for Matthew. I know that it's probably not the best way to handle it; but I couldn't help myself. I'm tired and my temper shortens when I'm tired. The respiratory therapist talked to the charge nurse, who in turn talked to the doctor and he came right over and he agreed he could be extubated now and that we wouldn't have to wait until later. Around 10 am they extubated him and he coughed and sputtered for the next couple hours. He had so many secretions from his airway being so irritated that he was having a hard time adjusting to breathing and keeping his airway clear. They gave him a medication to help dry up the secretions he was having, which helped almost immediately and he slept very comfortably for about 3 hours. He was still working hard to breathe, but he could sleep. Around 4:30 he woke up and was working hard again to breathe. They gave him a breathing treatment and some medication to decrease the swelling in his throat. This has seemed to helped some and he is resting semi-comfortably now. He has not "eaten" since Saturday night in preparation for having the tube removed and they do not want to feed him until they are sure he will be fine respiratory wise. Maybe this evening we'll start feedings.

I talked with the neurologist this morning also and he thinks it will be best for us to go to Minnesota also. He is a different neurologist (the doctors take turns taking hospital call in 2 week segments) and he is known as "the best pediatric neurologist in Nebraska". He has a special interest in epilepsy. He said his EEG is very difficult to read and things don't match up. He said we can look at transferring him as soon as he is stable with his breathing for 24 hours. I am optimistic about this. They always seem to find the right balance when we go to Minnesota.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

11 comments:

Michelle said...

You go girl! It's so frustrating when they expect everything to happen during the convenient intervals when the staff is all in perfect alignment.

I'm glad to hear he's still off the vent. He's just so strong, just like his Momma!

raintree's village said...

Gotta be tough with the docs, etc. sometimes. I think you're doing a great job holding up- better than I would. Anyway, we're keeping you in our prayers, and hope for a quick and thorough recovery for Matthew. Love to all:)

Kristen said...

I think you rock! The way you find the power to speak up and serve as the voice for Matthew in this world...or more narrowly...in the hospital, is terrific! Great job Jill! I admire that quality in you and also your smart discernment. You are such a fantastic person that people should know if Jill speaks up it's because there is a respectable reason.

My heart sinks, thinking of Matthew struggling. I know Minnesota is a long distance away but it sounds like that would be the best place for him. But I'm sure at this point the distance doesn't even matter. You're just ready to get him there.

We'll keep praying.

Tyler said...

I am happy to hear that Matthew is off the vent. I will be praying that his breathing continues to improve and stabilizes so you can head up to Minnesota. It sounds like that is where you want to be for the best care for Matthew, even if it is further away.

Stay strong!!

Diane, Tyler's mom

Sherri said...

You are getting more and more bold! And with good reason! I can't wait to hear more about Dr. P :)Praying for everything to go smoothly so you can get on your way to Minnesota. We WILL get that coffee...someday. Hang in there! There are so many praying for you guys :)

Bree said...

Your family is still in my thoughts and prayers and hoping you can make it to Minnesota soon. This prayer came to mind when i read that you spoke up to the medical staff.

Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity
To accept the things I cannot change;
Courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
As it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
If I surrender to His Will;
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life.

Grandma Cindy said...

We will keep all of you in our thoughts and prayers!

Lisa said...

I can't even imagine how sick and tired you must be of the hospital.

Please know that we are all thinking of you and cheering little Matthew on! He's a fighter for sure.

:)

Micah said...

Hi mom that is awesome. Sue brought cookeis and we made cards. Matthew gets better and beter. I love you and miss you.
love
Micah

Josephine said...

Matthew is blessed to have you as his mother. I hope that you get to Minnesota really soon.

Hannon! said...

I think you handled the situation exactly how you needed to. Having to wait in a hospital is the worst - time moves too slowly. I will continue to keep Matthew in our prayers. You're an amazing Momma!!