Last night, Matthew had a pretty good night. He received another dose of medication to help with the inflammation in his airway and he slept very well until 3 am. At three, he was up and coughing; but he was much stronger and was able to cough and clear his airway, so they did not repeat the medication again. He was also weaned off of his oxygen last night. The doctors came through again today and said we could start feeding him again. He is tolerating that marvelously. Then the neurologist came through and I told him that we really hadn't seen any seizure activity and he was happy about that. His depakote level was low due to the fact that phenobarbital lowers the level of depokote in your blood system. He was going to increase the depakote, but since he was not having seizures, he decided it was fine for now. He still agrees we should go to Minnesota soon. However, he believes it will be better to set this up in a manner that we can take a commercial airplane rather than a transport. A transport is VERY expensive and it's better to get two plane tickets. I am okay with this as long as he is stable. If this happens, most likely we would leave with in a couple days of being dismissed from the hospital. While Matthew is seizure free at this time; he is very doped up on medications and not himself. It is a fine line of seizure control vs. sedation for Matthew. The "best of both worlds" be determined if we use constant EEG to help us. This care is not offered here. The closest place is Minnesota.
Around noon, the doctors decided it was okay for Matthew to leave the PICU and go to the regular floor. Yippee!! We are now upstairs on 4th (instead of 2nd) and it is so quiet. I didn't realize how noisy the PICU was. I had gotten used to it. The doctor on this floor said that she thinks it will be "another day or two" and we'll see how he's doing. I'm looking forward to having Matthew back home, seeing my kids, having our routine, and having my own bed!!
Please also continue to pray for Thomas. The doctors told his parents today that they don't think he will ever "wake up" but they are holding onto hope that God will perform a miracle.
We also met another little girls parents. Her name is Olivia and she quite breathing twice in Lincoln at the hospital due to complications of pneumonia. She is the same age as Matthew and she came in the same day as Matthew did. They still have many days to spend in the PICU.
It's hard to think of all these precious babies in the PICU fighting for there lives. It's a very visible reality of how fragile life is.