Friday, October 30, 2009

Just another day in the PICU

Matthew slept well last night. This mamma did too, relatively speaking. Around 5 pm last night Matthew starting coughing really hard and he coughed the tube out and vomited all in one fell swoop. There were a few long minutes of organized chaos around his bed; especially since we had just "fed" him his first meal in his G-button but an hour earlier. There was alot of formula in his tube and the concern is that he may have aspirated some of his formula. That would not be good for Matthew. They don't know if he extubated (coughed the tube out) first or vomited first. If he did aspirate, that puts Matthew at high risk for pneumonia. Everything that have been suctioning from his tube today has been clear; so that gives us some hope; but he is running a bit of a temperature now. I'm guessing when they do rounds this afternoon they will order lab work to check and see if he is getting a pneumonia.

While he was extubated last night (for a total of about an hour) they had shut off his sedation medication. While that was off he had 2 short seizures. With that in mind the neurologist believes that that is our sign to keep him sedated and intubated till tomorrow. That will give us one more day to get his levels of all his medications to a level that will keep the seizures at bay. I am comfortable with this plan. Tomorrow we will begin the process. The nurses and doctors continue to reassure me that his lungs look very good, his ventilator settings are the lowest they can possibly run them on, and he is only on the ventilator to protect his airway. I need this reassurance; especially at night. I seem to have more anxiety with the ventilator late at night.

Also on the list of things to do today are to possibly get Matthew a PICC line which is an IV that would give us longer and better access than an IV. His IV will need to restarted soon, as they don't last long. PICC lines last a long time; he can be sent home with it if needed; and the added bonus is that they will be able to draw blood out of it, so he won't have to be poked anymore for blood draws. I'm guessing they will decide this on rounds.

I will do my best to update 1 more time at the top of this post this evening. My dad is here and my mom is driving here as we speak. Food is beginning to show up at our home too, I am told. Thank you; everyone, thank you for supporting us in your thoughts, prayers, messages, daycare, food, and everything else that I can't think of at this minute. Our family wants you to know we are so thankful, and blessed by your outpouring of love. I can't and never will be able to say thank you enough.

Some have asked if I would like company. I would love company, however, the hospital is locked down similar to Alcatraz due to HIN1 and they are making no exceptions. They are only allowing parents and grandparents to visit. So thank you, but at this point with all the illnesses floating around, I am comfortable with my computer, radio and my cell phone.

I do have a favor to ask of you today. I love getting messages and bible verses sent to me; so if you have the time today and have a special bible verse or just want to send me a quick hello via facebook or my comment section...it's my favorite thing to do, reading all of your comments and verses. In the evening when my anxiety is higher, the verses are nice for me to have and read.

And I have one more favor. Would you pray for Thomas?? Thomas is Matthew's neighbor in the PICU. He is 5 1/2 months and suffers from a heart condition, and seizures so bad they have caused brain damage along with other things. Thomas' mom and I were talking last night and they are not talking about "when" he gets out of the PICU, but more "if he makes it out" of the PICU. It is a very quick reminder of people who are in harder circumstances than us. It breaks my heart.

13 comments:

Michelle said...

Let me be the first then to keep up the list of comments for you - unless someone else beats me to it while I'm typing. There is nothing more exciting than watching a sedated baby :-) I did two books worth of crosswords this summer during Owen's big bout of seizures.

We'll keep the prayers flowing. My parents will be here soon to stay with Sammy while we are down in Texas next week with Owen making his head smaller. As such I may not be able to comment as often, but know that we are still thinking of you and I'll be checking in even if I don't have time to comment.

raintree's village said...

Jill, thank you for updating us so frequently and faithfully. We've had you constantly on our minds throughout these last several days.

If you could do me a favor? I'd love to have your cell number so I can send you a text or two while you're there.

You're probably really tired. I know a little about that, and let me tell ya, I empathize. Make sure you're taking care of yourself, although I know that's easier said than done:)
Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Kristen said...

Mike and I are doing some painting in our house. Mike is finally getting a door handle on our front door. I don't know if you remember this or not, but he had taken the old door handle off the week before you came to our place. He's kind of slow at getting stuff done, but he does a good job once he does. :-)

So anyways, I had to take a break from the painting to check on an update. I'm so happy to see that you posted one. I've been thinking about you.

We continue to pray for you and will for Thomas. It's an eye opening perspective when understanding that it could be worse.

Just remember, nothing surprises God. He is still with you and is in control, even if it feels like He is hidden in the shadows of this broken life.

Psalm 91:1-2
Those who live in the shelter of the Most High will find rest in the shadow of the Almighty. This I declare about the Lord: He alone is my refuge, my place of safety; He is my God, and I trust Him.

Josephine said...

Hopefully tonight will be a peaceful night for you. I'm sorry to hear about little Thomas - I'll pray for him too.

As I was typing that, Avery knocked down her box of Nerds (ah Halloween....endless sugar....) and she said "Oh no...am I a silly cow because I dropped that?" I have no idea where she got "silly cow" from....

Numbers 6:24-26
The Lord bless thee, and keep thee:
The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee:
The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.

Bree said...

Hello Jill,

I found your blog through Kristen and Caymans blog and wanted to send my thoughts and prayers to you and your family! As i was looking through your pictures of little Matthew his smile could break a smile in anyone! He is truly a handsome boy! I'll continue to think of Matthew and Thomas in my Prayers!

Anonymous said...

'For I know the plans I have for you,' says the LORD. 'They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.'" (Jeremiah 29:11). Praying!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you all! xx

Stephanie said...

So sorry your sweet son is having such a rough go of it. My daughter is now twenty three. I used to read humorous stories and books to keep myself going. We didn't have laptops and blogs back then... I hope you won't mind me sharing one of my favorite scriptures from the Book of Mormon.
It is Alma 36:3

3 And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.

This scripture touched my heart and helped me remember Heavenly Father would give me the strength to endure, he would send his comforter to aide me as well.

We are praying for your little one and your family. God Bless you all.

Sherri said...

**sorry this is very long :)**
Excerpts from Psalm 34-
I will extol the LORD at all times; his praise will always be on my lips.
My soul will boast in the LORD;
let the afflicted hear and rejoice.
Glorify the LORD with me;
let us exalt his name together.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me;
he delivered me from all my fears.
Those who look to him are radiant;
their faces are never covered with shame.
The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry.
The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them;
he delivers them from all their troubles.
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
A righteous man may have many troubles, but the LORD delivers him from the all;
he protects all his bones, not one of them will be broken.

Praying that tonight is even better than last night.

Carla said...

I am praying for you & Matthew. I pray you both get out of there as soon as Matthew is well. I pray that the doctors are being guided by the Great Physician. The only verse I can think of is Jeremiah, 29. I hope you find peace
With Love, carla

Joanne said...

As I shut down my computer for the evening, I am reminded that God never "shuts down". My thought for you this evening is Psalm 121:3and 4. This is a "JP" paraphrase version: "He who watches over you will not slumber. He who watches over Matthew, Jill, and Steve, will neither slumber nor sleep." Good night, good friend. As I am praying for Matthew, and Thomas, I pray you will all rest well tonight.

Cheryl said...

Just a note to say we will be praying for you from Kansas. We serve a BIG God and He sees right where you are tonight. God bless you, your precious Matthew, Thomas and all the others like them. My daughter with special needs was in PICU for 15 days this summer and it gives a person a whole new outlook.

Anonymous said...

I took my troubles to the Lord;
I cried out to Him, and He answered my prayer.

Psalm 120:1